Campus History

The year of 2001 found  University Middle School overrun with students in cramped circumstances. The construction of a new and additional middle school was begun and half of the students, staff and administration moved during the middle of the 2002 school year to a new location at 700 South 15th street. The new campus was given the name  Cesar Chavez Middle School. Around 40 faculty and staff, along with about 450 students first called the school their home, and  Mr. Alfredo Loredo came as the principal.

The 5th grade students from Bell's Hill Elementary and Sul Ross Elementary schools would become the first 6th grade class for the new Cesar Chavez Middle school. They had the honor of voting on and deciding on the new school's colors, blue and silver, and the new mascot, the eagle.

Before Cesar Chavez Middle School occupied the plat at 700 South 15th street, the land was used for a municipal swimming pool called the SunPool where many neighbors enjoyed icy cold artesian water pumped from Bell's Hill Aquafier in the hot summer time. Now, several generations later, the same neighborhood families would enjoy the luxury of having the new campus, the newest and most high tech, modern and beautiful campus in Waco ISD. Before the SunPool, the famous Cotton Palace occupied the property and was burned to the ground in the 1910.

Sun Pool  Cotton Palace

Click photos for larger view.